for Satellite Integration Training
Overview of the Program
What will VISIT program do?
The second phase of satellite meteorology training
(Satellite Integration Training) focuses on the following challenges:
1) The use of GOES and other modernized datasets in an effective manner while working
with the AWIPS program
2) The integration of other remote sensing data (Polar satellites, radar, profiler, etc.)
into the GOES framework
3) For NESDIS and NWS to work together to build the Virtual Institute for
Satellite Integration Training in support
of NWS operational requirements as space-based multi-spectral observations rapidly
What are the requirements for Satellite Integration
The requirement for Satellite Integration Training stems
from surveys of students at the COMET SatMet Residence Courses who questioned:
"how do we utilize satellite data with radar data on AWIPS?" Specifically, the requirements
1) Train the operational forecast staff on the effective utilization of GOES observations
and products as part of modernized NWS warning and forecast operations.
2) Conduct the training in a cost-effective manner that carefully monitors all resources.
A major factor is the reduction in available human resources and in travel.