VIIRS Satellite Imagery in AWIPS
Scott Bachmeier and Scott Lindstrom
This basic-level VISIT teletraining lesson will describe the Visible Infrared Imaging Radiometer Suite (VIIRS) data from the Suomi/NPP (National Polar-orbiting Partnership) satellites that have recently been made available to the NWS Regional AWIPS servers (WFOs may add VIIRS imagery to their local AWIPS via LDM subscription). A variety of VIIRS examples will demonstrate the unique operational utility of these new satellite products, which will help forecasters prepare for new satellite channels and products coming in the JPSS and GOES-R era. (lesson created March 2013)
This is a basic course. There are no prerequisites.
Training Session Options
LMS students - to begin the training, use the web-based video, YouTube video, or audio playback options below (if present for this session). Certificates of completion for NOAA employees can be obtained on the E-Learning Management System LMS
Audio playback (recommended for low-bandwidth users) - This is an audio playback version in the form of a downloadable VISITview and can be taken at anytime.
Create a directory to download the audio playback file (139 MB) from the following link: http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/training/visit/training_sessions/viirs_satellite_imagery_in_awips/viirs_satellite_imagery_in_awips_audio.exe
After extracting the files into that directory click on either the visitplay.bat or visitauto.bat file to start the lesson. If both files are present, use visitauto.bat
- Live VISIT teletraining (with an instructor leading the session). Check the VISIT Training Calendar to signup for teletraining. The session will last 45 minutes. This teletraining session uses the VISITview software, where a Windows PC with an Internet connection is needed.
Please follow the teletraining installation instructions to install the session
- VIIRS Imagery and Products in AWIPS
- VIIRS image examples on the CIMSS Satellite Blog
- Suomi-NPP: A New Generation of Environmental Monitoring
- VIIRS Imagery and Visualization Team Blog
- NexSat Real-Time VIIRS Imagery
- Developed: March 2013
- Updated: November 2013
- Scott Bachmeier (608) 263-3958