Synthetic Imagery in Forecasting Cyclogenesis
Dan Bikos and Dan Lindsey
IntroductionThis training session is part of a series that focuses on applications of synthetic imagery from the NSSL 4-km WRF-ARW model. In this training session we'll consider applications of the synthetic imagery in forecasting extratropical cyclogenesis. This training session builds off the previous VISIT Cyclogenesis course which stressed a blend of conceptual models, NWP output and GOES satellite imagery. In this training session, the NWP output will be the synthetic imagery from the NSSL WRF-ARW model which will make for an efficient comparison between the NWP output and the GOES satellite imagery. The goal is to gauge how much confidence one should have in NWP output strictly from the cyclogenesis evolution perspective.
This is an experimental GOES-R Proving Ground Product designed to foster GOES-R readiness.
It is strongly recommended that you take the VISIT Cyclogenesis training session before taking this course. This is a basic course.
Training Session Options
LMS students - to begin the training, use the web-based video or audio playback options below (if present for this session).
Audio playback (recommended for low-bandwidth users) - This is an audio playback version in the form of a downloadable VISITview and can be taken at anytime. Certificates of completion for NOAA employees can be obtained on the E-Learning Management System LMS
Create a directory to download the audio playback file (127 MB) from the following link: http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/training/visit/training_sessions/synthetic_imagery_in_forecasting_cyclogenesis/synthetic_imagery_in_forecasting_cyclogenesis_audio.exe
After extracting the files into that directory click on either the visitplay.bat or visitauto.bat file to start the lesson. If both files are present, use visitauto.bat
- Live VISIT teletraining (with an instructor leading the session). Check the VISIT Training Calendar to signup for teletraining. The session will last 30 minutes. This teletraining session uses the VISITview software, where a Windows PC with an Internet connection is needed.
Please follow the teletraining installation instructions to install the session
- Talking points are available for this lesson and may be printed out to easily review the session in detail at any time.
- GOES-R product suite
- NSSL 4-km WRF-ARW model output
- Bikos, D., Lindsey, D.T., Otkin, J., Sieglaff, J., Grasso, L., Siewert, C., Correia Jr., J., Coniglio, M., Rabin, R., Kain, J.S., and S. Dembek, 2012: Synthetic Satellite Imagery For Real-Time High Resolution Model Evaluation. Wea. Forecasting,27,784-795. http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/WAF-D-11-00130.1
- Grasso, L.D., M. Sengupta, J.F., Dostalek, R.L. Brummer, and M. DeMaria, 2008: Synthetic Satellite Imagery for Current and Future Environmental Satellites. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 29:15, 4373.
- Skamarock, W. C., J. B. Klemp, J. Dudhia, D. O. Gill, D. M. Barker, W. Wang and J. G. Powers, 2005: A Description of the Advanced Research WRF Version 2, NCAR technical note.
- Developed: 2012
- Dan Bikos (970) 491-3777