Ross Van Til - Forecast Decision Training Branch
This session covers the characteristics of the Advanced Scatterometer, or ASCAT, instrument aboard EUMETSAT'S MetOp-A satellite. ASCAT data became available in AWIPS with the version released in February 2009 (OB9). The coverage and biases of the ocean vector winds retrieved by ASCAT will be assessed. Also, comparisons between ASCAT data and QuikSCAT data will be made. Finally, a warning decision will be presented to illustrate effective utilization of ASCAT data for marine operations.
- Understand how ASCAT works
- Assess strengths and weaknesses of ASCAT wind retrievals
- Identify contrasts between between ASCAT and QuikSCAT data
- Understand how to best use ASCAT data operationally
None. This is a basic course.
Training Session Options
LMS students - to begin the training, use the web-based video or audio playback options below (if present for this session).
- Web-based video that can be taken at anytime (streamed, not recommended for low-bandwidth users). Be sure to have your speakers on and the volume loud enough to hear the presentation. For students who initiated this course in the NWS Learning Center (LMS), certificates of completion can be obtained from the learning center's "My Transcript" page upon completion of the associated quiz.
- Developed: 2009 / Updated 2010